Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Big Jib

I never realised there was any confusion, until I read some postings on Steve's blog a while back. Is it 'jib' or 'gyp'? That's the question... Teach was horrified when I used 'jib', hearing it as 'gyp', which was interpreted as racially offensive to the Gypsies. But... I was just saying 'jib' No offense intended! I looked it up, and the two words are similar, but not the same. Let's leave gyp behind and use jib, it's safer.

JIB: To stop short in some action; to refuse to proceed or advance; to draw back, back out.
GYP: To cheat, trick, swindle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops!

Aras said...

i got gyped by gypsies once. cedric was drunk and was excited to see real gypsies, so he spent thirty lits on clothes, which all turned out to be garbage. good thing i was too drunk to stop him.

at least the gypsies were cute :)