Friday, December 29, 2006

Buffet Hate Rant

I hate buffets. Hate.
They take all the joy out of eating.

Last week I went to an 'American Style Grill' place called 'Ashley' that had a Laura Ashley theme... As in, lots of floral decor. Awful. It was a Christmas dinner for the teachers at my school. I had a plate of salad and stuff, finished eating and then sat back and watched 7 women shovel mountains of food into their faces while talking in Korean. As I sat I thought about why I hate buffets so much and how I was going to live the rest of my days not attending any buffets.

I thought I'd ranted about this to all and sundry. Evidently not. Yesterday JD Whatever took me to Marche in the COEX. It's a 'European Style Buffet'. As in, the hostesses are in ridiculous 'Bavarian' dresses... Ah! Check out the Marche site to see what I mean. As soon as I entered I got a bad feeling. I was told I could order something, that I didn't have to get the buffet. But then the hostesses talked JD into getting the buffet for us... It costs 24,000 won, about $30 Aussie.

Anyhow, after a couple of minutes I insisted we leave. My reasons for hating buffets are::

  • The group doesn't sit and eat together: friends or family get up and wander away as others are eating.
  • You have no idea how much you've eaten: plates can be infinitely refilled.
  • People use extra dishes, discarding each plate after each use.
  • I can't sit down and relax and eat; I have to get up and walk around, plate in hand.
  • It's expensive.
  • It's often weird international standard cuisine. Stodgy. Flavourless.
  • It's mass produced crap.

1 comment:

Bonnie Conquest said...

And so it seems... That no-one agrees with me... Whenever I talk about my dislike of the buffet, there is a resounding silence. The only supporter I have is my Dadda. Hmmm. I had no idea I was so alone in this as well.